Over the last few years I have written many stories and made money selling them to readers all over the world. I have also learned a few things. Here’s a short list of what I’ve learned:
- Great books will not sell themselves.
- Strong marketing will sell crappy books.
- No matter how bad you think a book is, many will love it.
- No matter how good you think a book is, many will hate it.
- Never underestimate the ability of a reader to enjoy the same plot over and over and over.
- A particular genre or theme is never “over” when “experts” claim it is.
- The system is designed to be gamed.
- There are many authors and publishers with lower ethical standards than you.
- No one cares if you are broke; raise money and have your book edited.
- Some people are too nice to tell you your cover sucks ass.
- Anything other people tell you not to do has already been done… in a best selling book.